Tuesday

The Run I Almost Didn't Do

I almost didn't run last night. I had lots of old excuses and a few new ones.
It's too dark.
It's too cold.
It's too late.
It's too close to the next race.
It's too....something to run.

We've all had these or similar excuses and we all, hopefully, find a way to get past them.

I was all set to give in to those excuses last night. The temperatures were the coldest of the season and I was sure my couch and T.V. remote would be a good defense against the zero degree windchill.

After all, who goes out running in these extreme conditions?

That was the question, the thought that changed my direction last night.

Who goes out running in these extreme conditions? That question reminded me of a conversation from earlier this year when a friend said to me "I saw this guy running the other day and wondered who runs in these conditions?...and it was you!

That was back in July. The temperature was in the 90's and the humidity was high.

And so, last night, remembering that conversation and being inspired by the athletes I get to work with, I ignored the excuses.

The thought that regardless of the weather, this workout is the best thing you can do for yourself and the best use of your time.

Do it now.

The couch and remote will be there when you're done.

What's the best thing you can do for yourself today? What's the best use of your time now?

Who runs when the weather is too extreme?

You do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing