Saturday

LRW April 25, 2015

Living.

Its been a few days since I've been able to sit and write anything meaningful. There are a few things coming together now, new beginnings and goals to be reached and just a bit of breathing room. Its "go-time" for pen and paper, key board and screen.

Rochester Regional Health running shirt
Orientation at the new job (new RN job, that is) is now over and I'll serve my first shift in a new emergency department on Monday. I'm excited...and cautiously optimistic. While I've been out of the emergency-mode for a while it was interesting to see how fast the recall came back when we were discussing critical thinking, patient assessment and pharmacology. The sound of neurons snapping open was deafening! Feeling ready. Feeling confident.

Its an interesting time. Each step is a new page and where that step leads is a bit unclear. One thing is certain, by this time tomorrow I'll be better than I am today.


Running.

Thus endith Training Cycle Two.

Thats it. The cycle started on January 11 - the day after the Winter Warrior Half Marathon, my first event of 13.1 miles, will come to an end tomorrow when I celebrate the ability to run and finish the Flower City Half Marathon.

Bib and official shirt Flower City Half 2015
Cycle two has been nothing like cycle one (Oct 14-Jan 15). Cycle 2 actually felt and acted like number two - if you get my meaning. The Rochester weather took a tailspin toward the end of January and didn't recover until recently. Sure, there were a few "nice days" here and there to get out and get the training done, but not many. February was particularly brutal with only six-hours spent above freezing...yes, six hours. Wind chill frequently well below zero and permafrost earth made running outside (even slowly) hazardous. Along came March with its snow piles obscuring vision making foot travel even more dangerous. More time could have been spent in the gym, I suppose. The air inside the gym where I train was thick and confining. Almost as difficult to breath in as the attitude.

All of that is behind  me. The weather has begun to cooperate and I got in 26 solid miles last week! Everything feels good; the pace, the heart and the mind. This week has been the tapper in final preparation for the Flower City Half. Practice race pace, relax, swim, and get in that final fine-tuned run.

Writing. 

As I noted above, I'm ever so slowly opening up time to write. The fiction works are still on the front-burner when time allows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing