Monday

Winter training pushed back

The weather has turned my training plan into something resembling a wish list or a "wish I could have" list. Snow, wind and brutal temperatures have conspired to prevent many of us from getting our workouts in. Chances are you're in (or have been in) a similar situation this winter.

February 2015 was declared Rochester's (New York) coldest month ever. With a record breaking average temperature of 12.4 degrees, we saw only six hours above freezing all month long. And the sun didn't shine; not one single day met meteorological criteria for being a clear day. Snow piles from the nearly 48 inches of snow (still) on the ground block the streets and sidewalks of my normal running routes making it unsafe to run outside...not to mention the wind chills well below zero.

Getting back into the gym seems like the reasonable cure for the winter training stoppage, but its not easy. Constant shoveling and slow commutes eat up valuable training time. Breaking the inertia is so hard knowing you'll face brutal conditions and difficult driving just to make the 1.6 miles trek to the gym.

Should you let the winter soften before getting back outside? Waiting for the weather to improve may seem like waiting for the pot at the end of the rainbow. Wait too long and your hard-won fitness starts to drag while your training plan gathers dust. 

What do you do now? 

I've decided to train when I can, where I can. I'm not going to worry about getting outside or to the gym during bad winter weather - I'll think of it as a recovery period and adjust my training schedule later. No stress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing