Wednesday

My Run Today

Today was one of those runs that makes all the training and goal setting worth every minute. That's important because the last few weeks haven't gone too well and I needed a good session.
Todays run almost didn't happen...a cold, misty rain started to fall as I walked out the garage door. My wife was leaving for the store at the same time and gave me a supportive "do it anyway" grin. 

There I was, sporting my new Sauconys, shorts, hat and gloves, and an old zip up fleece over a tech shirt - looking more like I just crawled out of a clothing donation bin than a runner. I'm used to it. 

I clicked "start workout" on my iPhone app starting the thirty-second countdown...pulled on my gloves and walked to the street...5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - and synced my watch to the app and started running. By now the rain had mixed with ice pellets that stung my cheeks and made me blink as they hit my eyelashes. I kept on going. The wind started up and blew the freezing rain in my face. Within a few minutes I couldn't feel my legs...keep going.  

How far am I going to run today? No clue, just decided to run until I decide to stop. I need a good workout to get out of a bit of a slump. I've been paying the price for increasing milage too fast and not replacing shoes when I should have. 

Running with music helps sometimes. I amazed at how my iPone knows what to play. Todays "random" selections came from U2, The Clash, Adam and the Ants, and Van Halen. I can imagine how I must have looked: running dressed as I was, in the snow, and singing. It was at that point that I realized how fast I was going and how well I was running...and how thankful I was for being able to do it. Mile one, then two a little faster. Feeling great at 3, strong at 4. Decided to push a little on mile 5 and 6. Nearly sprinted the last half mile. Finished 6.5 miles with a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing