Wednesday

NaNo Who? What?

NaNO Who? What? 2014

Thats NaNoWriMo, better known as National Novel Writing Month. This little project encourages writers around the world to put together a novel during the month of November. Thats a goal of 50,000 words in 30 days or 1,666 words each day. The result will  be a draft of a novel, albeit as short one by most standards. Over 300 thousand people took part in NaNoWriMo 2013. 

Writing has been on my mind for a long time. A renewed desire to write (on topics other than terrorism) turned me on to writing fiction and NaNoWriMo seems like the perfect outlet...better said, NaNoWriMo is the best excuse I can come up with to justify the many hours I'll spend pecking away at any one of several keyboards. 

I first leaned of NaMoWriMo by listening to I Should be Writing, a podcast for fiction writers. Several years ago, when I started listening to ISBW, my focus was to learn about the craft of writing to be a better blogger. Admittedly, I dodged many of the ISBW episodes based on titles or synopses that didn't seem to apply to "blogger". What I came to realize was that those podcasts that didn't apply to me actually did apply to me. I'd let those podcast episodes play while I was doing something else and the more I listened, the more I realized how writing spoke to me. That was somewhere around 2008. 

I've thought a lot about writing in many forms since then. Some days I think about writing seriously...in an (almost) quit-your-day-job sort of way. Perhaps I'll make the jump to freelance writer and novelist someday...perhaps not. Either way I'm going after NaNoWriMo 2014 with gusto. I aim to win! 

We'll keep you posted.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing