Thursday

Keeping the Miles Going

Keeeping the miles going this week has been...fun, but a little painful this week. Monday's run was a not-so-smart 13.1 mile event. I'm calling it not-so-smart because it was the second 13.1 training run in six days - something I'm not used to yet. Adding to the potential problem is the fact that my shoes are beat and need to be replaced. I did't start out to run that much, it just happened. The plan was to do a 5K on my normal loop, but I felt good approachiing the 3 mile mark so I kept going. Five miles whent by just fine, then six. I kept thinking "as long as I feel good and the split times stay in training range, keep going." Why not? Miles nine and ten I started to feel my legs and hip ache. My feet hurt and I felt every crack in the sidewalk and stone in the road. But at ten miles, why not go for the 13? Thats what I did...but at what cost?

I didn't train smart on this run. What was I thinking? My training plan dosen't call for anythiing more than 12 miles until December...over a month from now...why have I done two 13.1 mile runs? Why did I do them without any nutrition or hydration? I just needed to know I CAN do it. Not a good reason but THE reason.

The  combination of deteriorated shoes and quick jump in milage caused a little problem. I wasn't able to run the following day due to muscle soreness. The good news is that I made up for it the next day. After a day off to recoup, I was able to put in another quality session running a planned 5K - thant turning into a 10K. I was feeling good and ran the first mile near race pace, still felt good so continued the second and third mile abouut the same pace. At the 3.1 mark was near my PR time and still felt good so kept going (a bit slower) for miles 4 and 5. Finished with a fast mile to make a good 6 mile run. 

That leaves me with two training days to go this week. I should be able to hit the gym for some cross training (swim/bike) and get back on the road for a few more miles. Wouldn't it be nice to hit 25 miles this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing