Saturday

Goal Race!

Notes from the Rochester Triathlon 


Goals are supposed to be meaningful. They're supposed to be realistic, attainable. How many times have you heard that? I've never believed in that SMART goal philosophy and you shouldn't either when it comes to personal goal setting. Hey, goals don't have to be realistic. If your goals are realistic (with all respect)  you're shooting too low. If you're looking for whats attainable you're not looking deep enough. 

On July 2, 2013 I woke up early and said in that most inner personal voice...enough. I"d gained too much weight, gotten too soft, and carried an excess of stress related to experiences I wanted to do and never did. That day, a little over a year ago, is when my goal became to complete the Rochester Triathlon in 2014.  At a weight of 255 pounds and forty-eight years at the time, some might say that completing a triathlon (even a sprint distance race) was not realistic or attainable.  Some might say that given my state of health and family history competing in such a demanding race could even be dangerous. 

After a steady increase from walking to running and gradual change in food consumption,  I'm fifty pounds lighter and down ten inches in waist size. I've completed three 5K races and two sprint triathlons by August, 2014. Whats more is the fact that I've not done any competitive running or swimming in nearly thirty years. 

Completing a triathlon may not have been a realistic or attainable goal last year...today it is reality. 

Shameless fitting room selfie 
This shameless selfie was taken in the fitting room of Fleet Feet Rochester while scoping out a running top. The picture was sent to Joanne for approval of color and style.

















What did they say?



At the start line, Durand-Eastman beach during the mandated safety briefing. I didn't hear a word of the briefing after they announced the water temperature.

Jyl and Marybeth are playing in the sand.














This shot was taken by a coworker who's husband was also running. I'm just getting out of the water after a lackluster swim. Just could not hit a pace or rhythm despite mild water conditions. Notice the young person darting past me? He she wasn't the last to do so...












The bike lifted spirits out of the water. The pace was good and I felt comfortable with pushing a little harder than at Shoreline. Having people zip past wearing aerodynamic helmets, riding bikes that cost more than my car was somewhat annoying.






No glacier in NY faster...






And then...the run. Normal pace is pedestrian. Race pace is glacial. Slow but got it done.

















Paced by my son, Ricky 


Ricky jogging along the run route. He's pacing me, encouraging me as he's done at the 5K's. At 6'3" and 190 pounds, Ricky is a gifted sprinter/middle distance runner. His dad (obviously) is not.

Triathlon is an individual competition but a family event.















At the end of the race. Goodies and snacks but no hugs. I sweat too much. My friend Greg had the quote of the day when he pointed at my jersey asking: "is that all sweat?"






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading Living and Writing